Meet the Contributors - Teaching Maths with Meaning

Hi everyone, it's Alison from Teaching Maths with Meaning. I'm taking this opportunity to introduce myself to you all and tell you a little about myself!

I live in country Victoria, Australia and am currently relief teaching as I am on family leave. I started teaching in 2005 and haven't looked back - I love the profession and have definitely missed being in the classroom while at home with my little one. My husband is a winemaker and or nearly 2 year old son and lively border collie Lexi love being outside and helping in the vineyard.




I love living in the country where life is a little bit slower and you can take the time to breathe; also a quick, no traffic commute to school is great! I have moved around quite a bit, teaching in many different schools including teaching in the USA for 2 years. With all this moving I have been exposed to so many different types of teaching and finally found my feet and confidence after teaching for 6 years! Yes, it took a while.... but I am now ready for any challenge thrown at me!

I have always loved teaching maths. I think originally I found it logical, direct and it made sense. As a beginning teacher, there was so much to understand in Literacy that teaching it could become overwhelming. Maths, however, was either correct or not correct! Now I am a lover of teaching everything. While I am still most comfortable teaching Science and Maths, I have spent a lot of time sorting through professional reading and attending PD's to bring myself up to speed with Literacy. I continue to dedicate my blog purely to teaching Maths.

I started blogging and TpT in 2012 and can't believe how much I have developed as a teacher through this experience, as well as connecting with other bloggers. My approach to teaching maths is...
- if it can be taught through a game, do it
- if you can use manipulatives, do it
- if you can develop a story to create interest, do it
And not limiting myself to one way of teaching a concept, different children will learn differently!

If you would like to know more about me, you can follow my


Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Alison

No comments

Back to Top